What is the best heating system for Hotel, Motel, Inns, AirBnB and other Lodging Facilities?
I think we’ve all had that Hotel HVAC Hell experience at least once in our lives… Noisy, clangy, rickety or inconsistent pitch in the hum of the hotel heaving ventilation or air conditioning can rattle anyone’s night sleep. Not just volume or hot and cold, humidity too is a major factor, too dry and coughing, too humid one becomes drenched in the sheets and creates HVAC havoc for visitors. And let’s face it – there is no ROI if there are no return guests.
A hotel is of no use if guests can’t achieve a primary purpose – sleep, especially due to solvable HVAC issues. A lot of investment dollars, time and planning, design, architects, furniture, location, staff and more go into a great hotel and lodging, and it all becomes for naught if there are less return visitors.
In the age of bloggers, vloggers, online ratings, stars, influencers and above all very vocal opinions, it doesn’t take much to swing the vote between a guests choosing one lodging option over another. All especially for something so fixable as HVAC and climate control.
High Rise Hotels HVAC:
Each high rise hotel’s building is unique, and each building should be discussed on its own merit.
Some general options for High Rise Hotel Heating are:
- AHU (RTU) Fan Coil Units – Air Handler Units (AHU) connect to an air conditioner/heat pump to provide air regulation for an indoor space. Often a fan coil system using two pairs of water lines (one pair for hot one pair for cold). This has good response time and has a great deal of comfort for the occupants. The AHU’s are designated by Tons (ie 5Tonne or 20 Tons units and beyond). Variable Speed Air Handlers have a variable motor and can offer more consistent cooling or heating, can save upto 49% in energy costs too over other methods.Types of AHU’s include – Four pipe vertical stack, Chilled water Fan Coil, Ductless Mini-Split Air Handlers, Hydronic Air Handlers and more.
- Water source heat pump – a popular option, also called a two-pipe system. It uses two high volume pipes which circulate condenser water to the heat pumps in each of the zones (can create as many zones as needed). It has good flexibility and can have a lower up-front cost than other options.
- Boiler & Radiator Systems – Industrial and Commercial boiler systems are more common and conducive to extremely large spaces as they work more efficiently than other heating systems in this setting. They are also used for multi-residential complexes and apartments for the same reason.
- Humidity Control: Not just for comfortable sleep conditions, but for health on a multitude of levels including asthmatics, breathing comfortability, but viral control as well. MIT and Harvard did studies that humidity over 49% had the capacity to eradicate viruses faster than at lower humidity levels. Thus it may be a consideration to have the humidifier checked, or installed as an add-on unit.
Heating Options for Motels, Inns and AirBnB’s:
- Heat Pump Air Conditioner Combos – Heat pumps which also act as air conditioners are great for in-unit use and the heat (or air) temperature in that unit is controlled by the occupant.
- No windows need be retrofitted (actually the building gets its windows back). More secure for safety and rodent reasons, among others, such as drafts. And well, not to mention, the eyesore of a window air conditioner now becomes a thing of the past.
- Multiple heat pumps can be connected to one condenser for cost effectiveness, or each heat pump can have its own condenser.
- There is no duct work required, however there will need to be a small hole for the cables to pass through from the inside unit to the outside motor. These units are very quiet, extremely efficient to both install and run.
- Works on multi levels as well – if the building has an upper level unit and lower, a dual heat pump can operate both the upper heat pump / air conditioner combo as well as the lower level. Each unit inside is operated individually by a remote.
- Heat pump / air conditioner combos are a great option for AirBnB’s especially because it offers great supplemental heating to an existing heating source such that if an attic, for example, is always too hot or too cold, this allows for user controlled temperature in that particular room, in addition to whatever heating or cooling options currently exist in the building.
However, keep in mind, every building is unique, and each building HVAC should be discussed on its own merit.
Types of Buildings Heating Ontario Services:
- Retail stores & Grocery stores
- Offices: high rise, low rise and ground floor
- Townhouses, walk-ups, low rise, homes, condos, lofts
- Seniors homes, long term care facilities, retirement homes
- Real estate buildings & holdings, high rises, rental properties
- Medical buildings & Hospitals, Doctors offices, Chiropractors, Physio
- Schools; Elementary, Secondary, Public, Private; Day-cares, Universities, Colleges
Call us if your building isn’t listed above, we can make arrangements.
Do you have multiple workplace facilities, franchises, homes, offices or retail space?
No need to deal with multiple companies, technicians and locations – One call will solve it all at 647-591-2683
Heating Ontario is fully licensed (including G1) and offers fast efficient appointments.
Commercial & Industrial Services:
- 24 Hours Emergency Heating Service
- Commercial & Industrial boilers and steam boiler installs, repair & service
- Furnace Install & Service (maintenance and repair)
- Central A/C Installation, Repair and Maintenance
- Natural Gas Line Installation
- Radiant Floors and Driveways
- Tankless Water Heaters
- Ductless A/C
We are a Canadian Company! For an instant free estimate, call us at 647-591-2683 or see our locations on our contact us page.
Our Residential and Commercial HVAC Service areas include: Toronto, Mississauga, Brampton, Oakville, Georgetown, Milton, Scarborough, North York, Etobicoke, Islington, Rexdale, Weston, The Beaches, East York, Richmond Hill, Newmarket, Bradford, Aurora, Innisfil, Barrie, Markham, Stouffville, Uxbridge, Unionville, Vaughan, Concord, Woodbridge, King City, Bolton, Caledon, Pickering, Bowmanville, Ajax, Whitby, Oshawa and more.